Some posts comprise compensated hyperlinks. Please learn this disclaimer
for more information.
How a lot are you aware about Croatia? What’s a reality, and what’s fiction?
Croatia lies within the western Balkans and borders Slovenia, Hungary, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Serbia, and Montenegro. Croatia’s most fascinating border, nevertheless, is the Adriatic Sea.
The Croatian seashores, islands, and historic cities on the Croatia coast, in spite of everything, draw within the overwhelming majority of vacationers. However, how a lot else are you aware about Croatia? Let’s see…
Enjoyable Info About Croatia
With 109 enjoyable information about Croatia, this record is only a drop within the ocean of how fantastic and fascinating Croatia really is.
1. Let’s begin with an essential historic reality about Croatia. King Tomislav was Croatia’s first king, topped someday earlier than 925 A.D. you’ll discover his identify all around the nation
2. Croatians settled on the Adriatic coast across the seventh century on the ruins of the Roman Empire.
3. The hit HBO sequence Sport of Thrones was filmed on the Dalmatian coast in Cut up and Dubrovnik.
4. The fortified partitions of Dubrovnik (the place Sport of Thrones was filmed) are one of the vital preserved fortification methods in Europe. (And essentially the most visited)
5. As soon as the house of bloody Roman gladiator fights, the amphitheater in Pula, Istria, is certainly one of solely three preserved on this planet. It is usually the sixth largest amphitheater in existence. How’s that for an additional fascinating reality about Croatia.
6. The biggest Croatian white truffle discovered weighed 1.31 kg (2 lb 8 oz) was found by Giancarlo Zigante of Pototoska on 2 November 1999 close to Buje, a city in Istria, Croatia.
7. A Croatian named Rudjer Boskovic instructed inserting 5 concentric iron bands on the dome of St. Peter’s when a crack had been found. His suggestion was adopted and saved Michelangelo’s work from being ruined. That is prob my most fave enjoyable reality about Croatia!
8. Each Spain and Croatia have the best variety of UNESCO Intangible Items of any European nation. Together with lace-making, gingerbread baking, and picket toy carvings.
9. Positioned in southeastern Europe, Croatia borders the Adriatic Sea, between Bosnia and Herzegovina and Slovenia. It additionally has borders with Hungry and Serbia.
10. Ivan Vucetic- criminologist and anthropologist, was born on the island of Hvar (later emigrated to Argentina and was often known as Juan) was the pioneer of scientific dactyloscopy (identification by fingerprints), and his strategies of identification are used worldwide. Oh wait, possibly this must be my fave reality about Croatia – as I dwell on a avenue named after this man!
11. On the island of Susak, the ladies maintain the title for having the one nationwide costume that sits above the knee in Europe. I guess you didn’t know that reality about Croatia – huh!
12. The inhabitants of Croatia is 4.25 million (2013)
13. The inhabitants of Croatia is shrinking every census – 300k folks have left the nation since Croatia entered the European Union.
14. In Krapina, close to Zagreb, professor Dragutin Gorjanovic Kramberger found the wealthiest assortment of stays of Neanderthal folks on this planet.
15. Crimson Lake close to town of Imotski, Croatia, is the deepest sinkhole in Europe, third the most important on this planet.
16. The Krapina Neanderthal Museum covers a floor space of round 1,200 m² and is likely one of the most fashionable museums in Croatia and central Europe.
17. The longest phrase in Croatian is prijestolonasljednikovičičinima which implies little heiress obvious to the throne.
18. There are names of two Croatian’s on the map of the Moon. Scientists J. R. Boskovic and A. Mohorovicic.
19. Croatian Slavoljub Penkala invented a mechanical pencil known as the Penkala in 1906. The patent was registered in 35 nations, and his firm TOZ – Penkala, remains to be in operation right now in Zagreb, Croatia’s capital.
20. Zagreb Christmas Markets gained the Greatest European Markets 3 years in a row!
21. Inhabited for over 8,000 years, the japanese Croatian metropolis of Vinkovci is the oldest repeatedly inhabited metropolis in Europe.
22. Constructed by Ivan Lupis Vukic in Rijeka within the nineteenth century was the world’s first torpedo.
23. DNA checks have confirmed that the yummy Zinfandel grape selection originates from Croatia. Wine lovers rejoice!
24. Probably the most well-known seashore in all of Croatia is in Bol, on the island of Brac. Zlatni Rat Seashore modifications in form and shade relying on the wind.
25. Based in 1963 in Makarska, in Southern Dalmatia is the world’s most complete assortment of shells and snails.
26. Nearly all of Croatians are Catholic.
27. The Catholic Cathedral in Zagreb is the tallest constructing in Croatia (108 meters).
28. Croatia has 1244 islands, isles, islets & reefs so that you can sail via. Simply 48 of them are inhabited.
29. The mainland covers 56,542 km², and the floor of the territorial sea is 31,067 km².
30. Croatia has an unknown variety of dialects. These dialects could make it tough for Croatians to grasp each other.
31. Zadar, the seaside city in Dalmatia, holds the title of the most effective sundown on this planet, in line with Alfred Hitchcock. Quoted as saying, ‘Zadar has essentially the most lovely sundown on this planet, extra lovely than the one in Key West, Florida.’
32. The Croatian nationwide flower is the iris. It’s unlawful to select this protected flower.
33. Biševo island has simply 13 residents.
34. The Griffon vultures on Cres are the one ones that roost by the ocean anyplace on this planet
35. Croatia has a leaning tower in Istria. The belfry in Završje is 22 meters excessive and is tilted 40cm to the north.
36. Wine is produced in Croatia due to the affect of Greeks from two and a half thousand years in the past.
37. Croatia now has greater than 300 geographically outlined wine-producing areas in Croatia.
38. Means again within the Sixties, Paklenica Nationwide Park and Plitvice Lakes doubled because the American Wild West in 11 motion pictures filmed in regards to the fictional Native American heroWinnetou.
39. In-built 1296, Dubrovnik nonetheless has in use right now one of many first medieval sewage methods
40. Within the Dinaric Alps in Croatia, Olm (Proteus anguinus); is the one cave-dwelling chordate species present in Europe. This creature can survive ten years with out meals and lives blind and at the hours of darkness.
41. The Olm is thought to locals as čovječja ribica, which interprets to human fish—known as so due to the colour of its pores and skin.
42. The oldest particular person in Croatia was Nena Tolj, who sadly handed away in 2011, aged 110.
44. Nearly 10% of Croatia contains 11 nature parks, eight nationwide parks, and two nature reserves.
44. 8000 books, lots of that are written in Glagolitic script, reside in a cave monastery on the Island of Brač often known as Blaca.
45. Croatian writer Marko Marulić is credited with the primary recognized use of the phrase psychology (within the title deeds Psichiologia de ratione animaeHumanae), which means the science of the soul. Here is proof.
46. The biggest island in Croatia is Krk (close to Rijeka), with a 405 sq km land space.
47. You recognize the film 101 Dalmatians? Effectively, right here’s a enjoyable reality about Croatia, that breed of canine is from the area of Dalmatia in Croatia.
48. However that’s not the one Croatian canine breed. There may be additionally Croatian Sheep Canine, which is simply as cute.
49. Croatia’s Bura wind – the northern to the north-eastern wind is so highly effective. It was as soon as recorded blowing on the Maslenički most at 248.4 kmph (21 December 1990).
50. The Rijeka Carnival is the largest in Croatia and one of the vital common carnivals in Europe.
51. The necktie, worn by enterprise folks world wide, is from Croatia. As it was named, the cravat originated from Croatian troopers who served as mercenaries for the King of France.
52. The final specimen of the Mediterranean seal lives within the Croatian aquarium.
53. Shakespeare’s Twelfth Evening was staged in Illyria, an historic area of the Western Balkans whose coast coated modern-day Croatia (and in addition Slovenia, Montenegro, and Albania).
54. From 1358 till its seize by Napoleon in 1808, the walled metropolis of Dubrovnik was the middle of a city-state often known as the Republic of Ragusa.
55. Croatian forex is called the Kuna, which is the Croatian phrase for marten. A marten is a forest rodent whose extremely prized pores and skin was used to pay taxes in japanese Croatia’s Roman provinces. The marten appeared on medieval cash earlier than giving its identify to the brand new forex in 1994.
56. Croatian cash are named after a lime tree. The Kuna is split into 100 lipa, which is the Croatian identify for the linden lime tree.
57. The Vucedol Tradition Museum in Vukovar provides an astonishing assortment of things that features a pot over 5,000 years previous.
58. On the mountain Vidova Gora, situated on the island of Brac, is the height Sutvid, which is the best peak within the Adriatic Islands
59. Though most of Croatia could be very secure, some areas have some hidden landmines which have but to be eliminated.
60. The oldest Croatian textual content was written in 1100, and it’s known as the Baska pill, which is about time beneath the reign of King Zvonimir.
61. Zagreb is Croatia’s capital metropolis, however its first capital was Nin, near Zadar in Dalmatia.
62. One-third of Croatia is roofed in forest.
63. In the event you give delivery on a Jadrolinija ferry from Hvar, your baby will get free journey on the ferry for all times.
64. The Sphinx in Cut up was introduced over from Egypt for Diocletian and is over 4,000 years previous.
65. The English poet Lord Byron known as Dubrovnik the pearl of the Adriatic,and it nonetheless holds this identify right now.
66. Croatia enjoys 2,715 hours of sunshine a yr. That’s greater than Sydney, Australia.
67. Irishman James Joyce was thought-about one of the vital influential writers within the modernist avant-garde of the early twentieth century. He was a instructor of English in Pula, Istria, within the early twentieth century.
68. Croatian residents can begin voting on the age of 16, supplied they’re employed. If not, they’ve to attend till they’re 18.
69. Two winners of the Nobel Prize in chemistry got here from Croatia – Lavoslav Ruzicka (1939) and Vladimir Prelog (1975)
70. The highest peak in Croatia is 1,831 m above sea stage.
71 . The very best peak in Croatia is named Dinara
72. The oldest recognized European calendar relies on the constellation of Orion. It was discovered on a shattered pot in Vinkovci in 1978 (dates again to 2600 BC)
73. FORBES journal ranked Croatia within the prime 12 world’s greatest retirement havens. Describing Croatia as sitting throughout the Adriatic Sea from Italy, Croatia provides unimaginable magnificence, a gentle Mediterranean local weather, historic tradition, tax breaks for retirees, and a low dwelling price. The Institute for Economics & Peace ·ranks it greater than the U.S. for security and safety.
74. The oldest college in Croatia is the College of Zagreb, established in 1669.
75. The Magazine Gentle was invented by a Croatian named Maglica
76. Croatia was a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire till the tip of World Conflict I in 1918; Croatia then joined Serbia, Slovenia shaped a kingdom often known as Yugoslavia.
77. Submit World Conflict II, Yugoslavia grew to become a federal unbiased Communist state
78. Croatia declared independence from Yugoslavia in 1991. It was from then the Homeland conflict started with Serbia, lasting 4 years.
79. In Croatian, the nation identify is Hrvatska, and the language is named Hrvatski.
80. Croatia is the 127th largest nation on this planet.
81. In Ston, southern Croatia, you discover over 5kms of the longest fortification partitions in Europe.
82. Croatia is raked4th on this planet for alcohol consumption per capita.
83. Every Easter, the island of Hvar holds a Ardour procession via seven church buildings. This custom started within the Center Ages and the songs sung are thought-about to be the oldest Ardour songs in Europe
84. Croatia’s ingesting water has one of many highest high quality requirements in Europe.
86. Croatia has 10 UNESCO World Heritage Websites
87. Probably the most frequent Croatian household identify in Croatia is Horvat (adopted by Kovačević, Babić, Marić, Jurić, Novak, Kovačić, after which Knežević).
88. Agatha Christie spent her second honeymoon in Dubrovnik and Cut up.
89. Fiddler on the roof was filmed in Zagreb
90. Croatian-born Nikola Tesla invented the alternating present. (FYI, Tesla was born to 1 Serbian mum or dad and one Croatian mum or dad and was a citizen of Austria after which Austro-Hungary. He was educated in Graz and gained skilled expertise in Prague, Budapest, and Paris earlier than shifting to New York and turning into a U.S. citizen. Due to this fact by some accounts, folks declare him to be Serbian, not Croatian) Further enjoyable reality: Tesla’s birthplace of Smiljan is present-day Croatia. He was as soon as quoted as saying I’m equally pleased with my Serbian origin and my Croatian fatherland. When in Croatia on the proper time, you would possibly wish to try the annual Nikola Tesla Electrical Car Rally.
91. In April 2011, the most important field of popcorn was stuffed on the Cineplexx in Osijek. Measuring 52.59 cubic meters – the field of popcorn took nearly 2 hours to fill
92. Hum, in Istria, is the world’s smallest city
93. The parachute was invented by Fausto Veranzio in 1617. Born in Šibenik, veranzio was mentioned to be the primary particular person to construct and check a parachute. Nonetheless, sketches of the parachute are additionally mentioned to have existed prior, together with one by Leonardo da Vinci.
94. On the island of Dugi Otok stands the lighthouse of Veli Rat. At 42 meters excessive, it’s the best within the Adriatic & locals will let you know that the brilliant yellow shade painted on the lighthouse is as a result of 100,000 egg yolks blended into the paint. Truth or fiction… you resolve.
Info About Croatia – That Are Huge Fats Lies
95. In Nin, near Zadar is the Holy Cross’s Church, which is the world’s smallest cathedral. Nope, unfaithful that Guinness World File belongs to a cathedral in Missouri, USA.
96. The primary hydropower plant was the Jaruga energy plant, made in Šibenik and placed on the river Krka in 1895. False. Niagara Falls began producing electrical energy all the way in which again in 1875.
97. Dubrovnik was as soon as a rustic, and a few folks say it was the primary nation to acknowledge the independence of the USA. Mistaken once more. Nonetheless, Morocco claims to have finished so first.
98. The primary pharmacy in Europe was opened in 1271 within the UNESCO record city of Trogir. So far as I can see, the primary one was truly opened in 1241 in Trier, Germany
Info About Croatia That Are Nonetheless Mysteries To Me
99. The stone that constructed the White Home in Washington D.C. comes from the island of Brac. Weeeeeeeeell, it’s not all true. It’s now simply broadly accepted that a part of the columns of the White Home is from Brac stone. However no person is aware of for certain.
100. Croatia is claimed to be the homeland of the world-renowned traveler Marco Polo. It’s claimed he was born in Korčula within the thirteenth century. Korčula was then a part of the Republic of Venice, however the precise location of his delivery is a thriller and with none proof to substantiate or deny. So that you resolve if that is reality or fiction.
101. David Schwartz was a Hungarian-Croatian aviation pioneerof Jewish descent. He designed and constructed the primary dirigible airship. Shortly after, David Schwartz died of a coronary heart assault, and it’s claimed, however not recognized for certain, that Rely Ferdinand von Zeppelin bought the plans from his widow and constructed the airship that bore his personal identify.
102. The primary public theatre in Europe was opened in 1612 on the island of Hvar. However I can see a number of different locations which lay declare to such historical past, together with London who claims to have had one open in 1576 by James Burbage
103. Dubrovnik has the oldest regulation of insurance coverage in Europe. Supposedly beginning in 1395, that will make it three centuries older than Lloyd’s. Disgrace I can’t discover any proof both approach.
104. From the ninth century on, Croatians used their Glagolitic script. It was utilized in parallel with Latin script till the 18th century.
105. The final remaining European Griffon vultures in Croatia are situated on the island of Cres.
106. Croatian Faust Vrančić designed the primary wind turbine.
107. The world’s first pipe organ performed by the ocean’s rhythmic waves is in Zadar, on the Dalmatian Coast.
108. The eighth deepest cave on this planet is in Croatia. Lukina cave is 1,392 m deep and lies within the Sjeverni Velebit Nationwide Park, 1,475 m above sea stage.
109. The favored movie Mamma Mia 2 was filmed on the Croatian Island, Vis – though the film is ready in Greece.
Which information about Croatia did I miss or get mistaken? You probably have any Croatia information, I’d love to listen to from you within the feedback beneath.
Extra Enjoyable Nation Info