This publish was written by Emily Becker, who’s a Mexico-based freelance author for BMTM.
After dwelling in Mexico for 2 years, I’ve been to my fair proportion of wonderful seashores. With 1000’s of miles of shoreline on the Pacific aspect, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Caribbean, there’s loads of selection right here, too. There’s actually a seashore in Mexico for everybody, starting from the mega-tourism of Riviera Maya to the crashing waves of Oaxaca.
Listed here are my high picks for the best possible seashores in Mexico, from north to south:
1. Isla Espíritu Santo, Baja California Sur
On the decrease half of the Baja California peninsula only a brief boat journey away from La Paz is Isla Espíritu Santo. This island paradise is precisely the form of place you dream of while you consider the right island vacation spot. The island is uninhabited, so you’ll be able to’t really keep on it. You possibly can go to the island through the day whereas staying in La Paz, although.
The radiant white sandy seashores and contrasting crimson rocks of the island are a few of the many issues that make this seashore so lovely. It’s additionally house to some unique wildlife, which is what many individuals go to the island to see. Specifically, there’s an abundance of sea lions who dwell close by. A snorkeling journey like this one is the right solution to see them.
- The place to remain: Similar to Balandra Seaside, one of the best place to remain to be able to go to Isla Espirítu Santo is La Paz. You’ll discover a great deal of great choices there, like this super affordable loft Airbnb!
- get there: The one solution to get to the island is by boat with a certified tour operator. The above-mentioned tour is a superb choice, however it’s also possible to discover loads of others in La Paz, reminiscent of Club Cantamar.
2. Balandra Seaside, La Paz, Baja California Sur
That is a kind of locations the place I’ve to cease and ask myself Is that this even actual? Balandra Seaside is so breathtaking that elements of it really feel surreal to see in particular person. Between the pristine shallow waters on the smooth white sand and the reddish rocky mountains within the background, this seashore is among the best so as to add to this record.
Balandra Seaside is close to town of La Paz, Baja California Sur. Because the pandemic, authorities implement a capability restrict on the seashore, so that you’ll need to get there early to have entry. Since La Paz is a superb place to search out whale sharks from October to Could, you’ll have an ideal view of breaching whales from Balandra through the season.
Among the finest methods to absorb the fantastic thing about Balandra Seaside is to snorkel in its pristine waters and take a peek on the number of glittering fish and different sea creatures. This tour features a cease at Balandra and in addition passes by the lighthouse at San Rafaelito.
- The place to remain: In La Paz, which is the closest to Balandra Seaside the place you’ll be able to keep, Hotel Catedral is among the finest choices you’ll discover and has an incredible rooftop.
- get there: To get to Balandra, you will want to have a car or take a taxi. One other solution to get there’s to take a ship or jetski from a neighboring seashore, reminiscent of Pichilingue. You possibly can organize for a ship to choose you again up a number of hours after having fun with the seashore and it ought to value round 250 pesos (12.50 USD) per particular person, spherical journey.
3. Islas Marietas, Nayarit
Simply off the coast of Sayulita within the state of Nayarit are the Marietas islands. These small uninhabited islands are house to sea caves, virgin seashores, and extremely clear water, to not point out the well-known Playa del Amor which is a hidden seashore paradise.
There’s a rumor that Islas Marietas was as soon as a bomb testing web site, which is one notably sinister rationalization for the gaping gap you’ll discover at Playa del Amor (aka “hidden seashore”) which appears like an enormous skylight above the seashore.
This small group of islands is understood for its biodiversity and unbelievable snorkeling round it. Wildmex gives half-day snorkel excursions which is among the finest methods to take pleasure in the whole lot the islands have to supply. This seashore vacation spot is actually top-of-the-line in Mexico, so don’t miss out on a go to in case you’re ever within the Sayulita or Puerto Vallarta space!
- The place to remain:The very best place to remain in case you plan to go to Islas Marietas is Sayulita, which has a ton of nice lodging choices. Aurinko Bungalows has rooms round $70-80 USD per night time and is a favourite amongst solo vacationers.
- get there: If flying into Puerto Vallarta airport, you’ll be able to attain Sayulita by non-public automotive, public bus, and even Uber! From there, you’ll need to ebook a tour like this one or from an organization in Sayulita or Puerto Vallarta.
4. Costa Careyes, Jalisco
Positioned on the rounded peninsula which makes up the southern a part of Bay of Banderas, Costa Careyes is a lesser-known paradise with virgin seashores, thick forests, and tons of wildlife. Though builders are simply starting to place up luxurious resorts within the surrounding Cabo Corrientes space, Costa Careyes has largely averted the mega development of many different seashore locations.
Costa Careyes is house to rugged nature and small villages with little else alongside this a part of the coast, making it the right seashore vacation spot for vacationers who’re searching for each an adventurous and peaceable expertise. The time to go to is now, as plans to construct extra infrastructure and resorts are underway and can probably result in an enormous growth in tourism to the world.
The shining star of Costa Careyes is the Selva de Cuitzmala, which is true in Costa Careyes’ again yard. With the unbelievable ocean views paired with the picturesque jungle, this is among the most idyllic locations you’ll discover in Jalisco and feels a world away from the craziness of Puerto Vallarta.
- The place to remain: Airbnb has a ton of nice picks for mid-priced lodging, like this 1 bedroom casita with an ocean view. One other nice choice is that this boutique villa which incorporates breakfast and has an airport shuttle from Puerto Vallarta.
- get there: Costa Careyes is a few 3-hour drive from the airport in Puerto Vallarta or a 1-hour drive from the airport in Manzanillo. You possibly can take a taxi from both of those airports for anyplace between $40USD and $200USD, or you’ll be able to take public transport. In the event you determine to go together with public transport, simply ask the place the parada de combis is and discover the combi going to Costa Careyes. You possibly can verify with the driving force that you’ll be stopping there.
5. Zihuatanejo, Guerrero
You’ll have heard of Acapulco in Guerrero, which is considered one of Mexico’s most well-known–and in my view, overrated–seashores within the nation. Skip the craziness of Acapulco and as an alternative head a bit additional north to Zihuatanejo. This laid again surf city has some killer waves and one of the beautiful seashores in Mexico; Playa Las Gatas.
There are 4 seashores in Zihuatanejo, probably the most distant and finest one by far being Playa Las Gatas. The dreamy turquoise water is ideal for swimming and snorkeling and the chilliness ambiance makes it the right place to get away from the stresses of life and absolutely loosen up. I can’t consider one other place that has such a serene ambiance like Playa Las Gatas.
The coast of Zihuatanejo has rocky cliffs, thick mangroves, and towering mountains along with the picturesque seashores. If the fantastic thing about this a part of Mexico wasn’t romantic sufficient, try this horseback riding tour that will be the right date along with your associate, and even solo!
- The place to remain: In case you are searching for luxurious and serenity, look no additional than La Casa Que Canta (“the home that sings,” in English). This place is completely beautiful and rooms begin at round $300 per night time.
- get there: Attending to Zihuatanejo is pretty simple as a result of it has an airport with each day flights coming in from Mexico Metropolis. To get to Playa Las Gatas, you’ll be able to take a water taxi from the pier at Playa la Ropa in Zihuatanejo.
6. Mazunte, Oaxaca
Oh, Mazunte. The rocky shores of Oaxaca supply a mixture of cactus-speckled landscapes and smooth sandy seashores that appeal to tons of surfers and barefoot hippies. I went to Mazunte for the primary time earlier this 12 months and fell in love instantly. Its chill ambiance, pleasant seafood, and crashing waves make for a calming and restorative seashore expertise.
Mazunte is understood for its bohemian vibe and is a comparatively small city. You possibly can simply cowl your entire city on foot without having for transport when you get there. It’s an ideal place for a hike and a well-liked spot to observe the sundown is Punta Cometa, only a 30 minute stroll away from city. From Punta Cometa, you’ll be able to climb down a rocky path to get to a secret spot referred to as the jacuzzi, a well-liked effervescent swimming gap.
There are a whole lot of attention-grabbing issues occurring in Mazunte on any given day. From yoga lessons to shamanic ceremonies and hearth dances, you’ll discover all types of esoteric and non secular choices. One of the best ways to search out out what’s occurring there’s to maintain an eye fixed out for flyers posted round city.
- The place to remain: You get a whole lot of bang to your buck in Mazunte. For instance, you’ll be able to have this entire loft for simply $45 an evening! There are additionally loads of hostels with dorms and personal rooms accessible, however I’ve had nice luck on Airbnb in Mazunte. The hospitality there’s unbelievable!
- get there: Mazunte is simply an hour south of Puerto Escondido, which has the closest massive airport. I like to recommend flying into Puerto Escondido after which taking a bus to Mazunte or renting a automotive. There are ADO buses, however the smaller combis depart faster and are simply as comfy.
7. Huatulco, Oaxaca
Simply south of Mazunte is Huatulco, which is about 20 miles of sandy seashores with 9 bays whole. On this massive seashore space, there are 36 completely different seashores to select from and each has its personal character. It could be a disservice to the fantastic thing about Huatulco to decide on only one for this record, so I’m itemizing all of them along with a number of honorable mentions to my favorites: Playa Arrocito and Cacaluta.
The coast of Huatulco is understood for its smooth golden sand and rocky bluffs towering over the deep blue waters of the Pacific ocean. Playa Arrocito is a tranquil patch of sandy seashore capped on each aspect by cliffs and is the right place to loosen up. You received’t see many individuals right here and facilities are slim, so contemplate packing a picnic and bringing your personal gear if you wish to snorkel.
The identical goes for Cacaluta, which is much more secluded. In truth, it’s important to hike by the jungle to get there! From Huatulco middle, take a taxi to the doorway of Cacaluta (it ought to solely value about 60 pesos) and use the indicators alongside the way in which to guide you to the seashore, which is a few 30 minute hike. There aren’t any eating places or facilities at this seashore so go ready! The tranquility and risk of getting the seashore to your self make it value it.
If you wish to follow the primary seashores in Huatulco, you’ll nonetheless have a beautiful time. Take a look at this guided tour which is able to take you to 7 of the world’s well-known bays!
- The place to remain: Huatulco is house to loads of massive motels and resorts, so I most popular Airbnb after I visited final 12 months. There are numerous inexpensive choices within the central space of Playa Santa Cruz, like this whole condo at simply $60 per night time.
- get there: Huatulco has its personal airport referred to as Bahías de Huatulco Worldwide Airport, which you’ll fly into from Mexico Metropolis on a connecting flight. From there, you’ll be able to take a fast taxi to your lodging.
8. Isla Holbox, Quintana Roo
In the event you’ve learn our complete guide to Isla Holbox, that that is considered one of my favourite seashores in Mexico. It’s a dreamy, colourful, enchanting place that may be a bit touristy but it surely’s nonetheless a beautiful place to go to. Isla Holbox is an extended skinny island off the coast of the Yucatán peninsula and has the ocean on one aspect and a salty lagoon on the opposite. It’s one of many most beautiful places in Mexico and one of many high locations within the nation to see whale sharks and bioluminescence.
Past the apparent beautiful white sand seashores and wildlife sightings, Holbox has a number of cenotes close by and even some superior nature preserves. There are quite a few excursions accessible on the island that may take you out on the water or to completely different areas, reminiscent of Punta Cocos to see the bioluminescent water at night time.
Isla Holbox could also be booming with vacationers a lot of the 12 months, but it surely has maintained its native appeal regardless. You’ll see that there are a lot of events happening on the island on any given week and it’s notably enjoyable to go to throughout carnaval in February to see the enduring parade.
The calm, shallow waters on the seashores of Holbox make it the right place to kayak and paddle board.
- The place to remain: For an opulent keep, try Villas Caracol which isn’t solely breathtakingly lovely, but additionally has breakfast included and a swimming pool. An excellent finances pleasant choice is that this cute rental unit on Airbnb that has a extra genuine, native really feel.
- get there: To get to Isla Holbox, you’ll be able to take a ferry from the port at Chiquilá. In the event you’re coming from the Cancún airport, you’ll be able to both take a taxi there or an ADO bus. In the event you’re renting a automotive, there’s loads of parking in Chiquilá and solely prices about $4-5 per day to park.
9. Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres, Quintana Roo
You’ll discover that Cancún didn’t make this record, which is not any shade in direction of the Caribbean hotspot. Though the seashores in Cancún are a few of the most visited in the entire nation, you’re positively lacking out in case you don’t enterprise to different locations close by, like Isla Mujeres. Whereas Isla Mujeres is booming in reputation with increasingly guests every year, it’s not with out motive that so many individuals need to expertise its magnificence.
Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres is precisely the form of seashore you dream of within the lifeless of winter while you haven’t seen the sunshine in weeks. With its powdery-soft white sand, clear shallow waters, and island breezes, visiting this beautiful island is like stepping right into a postcard.
Even throughout peak season, Playa Norte is sufficiently big to seize a quiet spot and loosen up the day away. Get there early within the morning to benefit from the tranquility earlier than different beachgoers arrive. Isla Mujeres is a well-liked kitesurfing vacation spot, so you’ll probably get to observe them as they fly within the distance.
- The place to remain: A candy factor about Isla Mujeres is that you will discover inexpensive lodging tremendous near the seashore, like this entire condo for lower than $50 per night time.
- get there: You will get to Isla Mujeres simply through ferry from Cancún’s Puerto Juarez Maritime Terminal, situated just some miles north of the Lodge Zone.
10. Xpu-ha, Quintana Roo
You’ve heard all concerning the seashores of Cancún, Tulum, Cabo, and Puerto Vallarta. Have you ever heard about Xpu-ha, although? This idyllic seashore is among the Riviera Maya‘s finest saved secrets and techniques and it’s one of many solely seashores within the space that isn’t overrun with vacationers throughout excessive season.
On any given day throughout any season, you’ll discover locals chilling out on Xpu-ha seashore and soaking in its magnificence.The ambiance at Xpu-ha is laid again and usually uncrowded, which is a far cry from the busy seashores elsewhere. The powdery smooth sand with cyan coloured water is nice for a swim and there are many alternatives to snorkel and dive there as nicely. Pair that with a pair contemporary fish tacos and a chilly beer for the right beachy afternoon. What extra may a lady ask for?
- The place to remain:There are many pleasant choices on Airbnb for locations which might be simply steps from the seashore, like this adorable tiny house that’s actually proper on the shore.
- get there: Xpu-ha is extremely simple to get to from Cancún’s worldwide airport. There are ADO buses that go from Cancún to Tulum, making a cease in Xpu-ha. You can too discover taxis on the airport that may take you straight to your lodging.
11. Mahahual, Quintana Roo
Much like Xpu-ha, Playa Mahahual is a small seashore village that has largely averted the mega-tourism of the area. Seeing a pattern but? Generally one of the best seashores aren’t those with the flowery eating places and bars proper on them, and I are inclined to favor those which might be frequented by locals and have a extra chill vibe.
Mahahual is simply north of Bacalar and is in style amongst divers due to its unbelievable reefs simply off the shore. Earlier than seashore motels started to pop up in Mahahual, it was a sleepy fishing village. In truth, a lot of the city has retained its authentic appeal and the touristy space is comparatively small.
- The place to remain: If you wish to keep proper on the seashore, it’s potential to take action affordably in Mahahual at Noah Beach Hotel & Suites. Rooms vary between $100-200 USD per night time.
- get there: You will get to Mahahual from Cancún’s worldwide airport, but it surely’s nearer to Chetumal’s nationwide airport. In the event you fly into Cancún, you’ll be able to catch a bus to Mahahual from the ADO terminal.
There’s no surprise why there’s a lot overlap in our most beautiful places in Mexico publish and this one. The seashores all through the nation are outstanding and it completely is sensible that so many individuals flock to Mexico’s shores every year. And the range! There are such a lot of completely different sorts of seashores, every having their very own aptitude.
What number of of those seashores have you ever been to? Whereas a few of these are massive vacationer hotspots, many are literally hidden gems! Tell us which of them are your favorites.
Pin me for later: